College and University fees and Living Costs

There are two types of fees to consider when applying for a graduate course at the University of Oxford, firstly your tuition fee (or ‘University’ fee) and secondly, your college fee. While the tuition fees vary greatly, depending on the type and length of your course and your fee status (see below), the college fee is standardised across the 44 colleges. It is intended to cover academic facilities and other services that are provided, but it does not include accommodation or meals. Please see the University Webpages for the specific fees for the coming year.

It important to note that as part of our college conditions, before your course commences, we will ask you to prove that you are able to cover the cost of one year’s tuition and college fees.

Fee Status

Which rate you are charged depends on your nationality, your immigration status in the UK, where you have been living, and what you have been doing for the three years prior to the start of your course. Please see the University webpages for more information concerning your fee status.

Home/EU (standard)

Generally speaking, if you are a UK or EU national and you have lived all of your life in the EEA or Switzerland, you will pay fees at either the Home/EU (standard) or Home/EU (ELQ) fee rate. If you are reading for your first qualification at your intended level of study, then you will pay fees at the Home/EU (standard) rate.

Home/EU (ELQ)

If you are a UK or EU national and you have lived all of your life in the EEA or Switzerland, and you already hold a qualification at an equivalent or higher level to the qualification you wish to apply for, then you may pay fees at the Home/EU (ELQ) rate, if there is a separate (ELQ) rate for your course. Special ELQ fees do not apply to any student commencing their studies after August 2012.


If you are a UK national who is normally resident in the Channel Islands or Isle of Man you will be assessed as an Islands student. For new entrants, Islands fees are aligned with the Home/EU rate for your course, with the exception of Clinical Medicine and all Year 2 onwards of Graduate Entry Medicine, which charge significantly higher fees.


Generally speaking, if you are not an EU national and you have not lived in the EU, you will pay fees at the Overseas fee rate. Even if you have been living in the EU, it is unlikely that you will pay fees at one of the Home/EU rates if you need a time-limited visa to live in the UK.

Predicted Living Costs 2016/17

While you are not asked to prove that you can cover your living costs before embarking upon your course, it is vital that you are aware of the types of costs incurred, and make preparations to budget for them. Below is a table taken from the University webpage, predicting the likely living costs, based upon a survey conducted by the University.

Likely living costs for one month
Likely living costs for nine months
Likely living costs for twelve months
Lower rangeUpper rangeLower rangeUpper rangeLower rangeUpper range
Personal items
Social activities
Study costs

 College Accommodation and Food Prices Information 2017-18

Daily/Weekly average room rate: £19.65

Length of the most prevalent graduate contract in days: 364 days

You can expect meal costs to be of the following order:

·      Breakfast  = £2.07

·      Lunch = £2.91

·      Dinner = £2.96