2. Finance and Accommodation

All new undergraduate students will need to ensure that fees and other charges are paid (or a direct debit has been set up) on or before arrival. Please use the Freshers’ Finance Form below to tell the Finance Office which payments you wish to be included on your invoice, which will be sent to you two weeks before Monday 7th October. A copy of your submission will be sent to the email address you provide.

You can make a payment right away or wait for an invoice to be emailed to you. For more information about how to make a payment please visit the Making Payments to College page. There is also a guide for European and International students who wish to open a bank account.

Please refer to the FAQ section at the bottom of this page and direct any queries to finance.office@st-hughs.ox.ac.uk or 01865 274915.

Accommodation is provided for all undergraduate students. You will be told your room when you arrive and will be asked to sign your licence to occupy and collect your keys. A sample licence to occupy can be found on the Accommodation page.

Please refer to the FAQ section at the bottom of this page and direct any queries to accommodation.manager@st-hughs.ox.ac.uk or 01865 274907.

Once you have completed this page, click here to proceed to 3. Events in Freshers’ Week.

How do I buy food in College?

Your University Card also acts as a meal card on which you will be able to add money for the Dining Hall’s cashless system, UPAY. For more information please see the Finance & UPAY Notes on the left of this page.

Do I need to bring my own bedding?

College does not provide bedding and you will therefore need to bring your own, or order a Bedding Pack for £25 using the Freshers’ Finance Form. Bedding Packs include a duvet, duvet-cover, sheet, pillow and pillowcase.

How do I open a bank account?

The University provides guidance for international and EU students who wish to open a UK bank account. This can be found here.

How do I apply for gym membership?

You should complete the Freshers’ Finance Form, selecting the relevant gym membership payment, and also submit a gym membership application form to the Accommodation Manager. This form can be found on the left of this page.

What are JCR subscriptions and charities?

The Junior Common Room operates as a club; details of JCR provision can be found in the Freshers’ Guide.

What is contents insurance and do I need it?

The College has arranged a block policy with Endsleigh insurance; you are advised to consider also taking out your own policy.

If I apply for a Student Loan in the first year, do I need to apply each following year?

Yes, whether in receipt of a maintenance or tuition loan, you need to apply every year if you require a loan from Student Finance.

What should I do if the Direct Debit payment is due to be taken from my account but the Student Loan funds are not there yet?

Please contact the Finance Office without delay to explain the situation. Your Direct Debit will be stopped and we will investigate why you have not received your loan. Common reasons why Student Finance do not make payments include when new students do not apply in time, do not return signed documents, or have not registered with the University online.

Click here to proceed to 3. Events in Freshers’ Week.