My general research interest includes Asian constitutional law; Asian Legal Traditions; and Asian Jurisprudence. I teach the course Constitutionalism in Asia and will be teaching the course Constitutional Law in 2022-2023.
Ngoc Son Bui is Professor of Asian Laws at the Faculty of Law, University of Oxford, and a Fellow of St Hugh’s College, Oxford. He is a graduate of Vietnam National University-Hanoi (LLB; LLM) and The University of Hong Kong (PhD). He was previously an Assistant Professor at The Chinese University of Hong Kong Faculty of Law, and a research fellow at the Centre for Asian Legal Studies of the National University of Singapore Faculty of Law. He has also held visiting research positions at Harvard, Melbourne, and Tsinghua Law Schools. He works on comparative & constitutional law in Asia with a focus on the socialist and Confucian culture-influenced jurisdictions. He is the author of Constitutional Change in the Contemporary Socialist World (Oxford University Press 2020) and Confucian Constitutionalism in East Asia (Routledge 2016). He is writing a new monograph Legal Reform in the Contemporary Socialist World for Oxford University Press. He is co-editing four volumes on Asian Comparative Constitutional Law for Hart Publishing. He serves in the editorial board of the Asian Journal of Comparative Law and in the advisory board of the Indian Law Review.
- Ngoc Son Bui, Constitutional Change in the Contemporary Socialist World (Oxford: Oxford University Press 2020).
- Ngoc Son Bui, Confucian Constitutionalism in East Asia (London: Routledge 2016).
- Ngoc Son Bui, ‘Global Constitutionalism: Asia-Pacific Perspectives,’ 10 Global Constitutionalism 221-235 (2021)
- Ngoc Son Bui, ‘China’s Comparative Constitution,’ Vanderbilt Journal of Transnational Law 1-29 (2021)
- Ngoc Son Bui, ‘The Socialist Precedent’, 52 Cornell International Law Journal 421- 474 (2019)
- Ngoc Son Bui, ‘Constitutional Amendment in Laos,’ 17 International Journal of Constitutional Law 756-786 (2019)
- Ngoc Son Bui, ‘Social Movements and Constitutionalism in Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan,’ 14 Asian Journal of Comparative Law 51-75 (2019)
- Ngoc Son Bui, “Contextualizing the Global Constitution-Making Process: The Case of Vietnam,’ 64 American Journal of Comparative Law 931-979 (2016)
For the full list please see the Law Faculty website.