A College with a strong sense of its radical tradition
Founded in 1886, St Hugh’s is now one of the largest colleges in Oxford. The College was established to offer an Oxford education to women, and it retains a strong sense of its radical tradition and of the importance of opening Oxford up to all who would do well here. St Hugh’s now accepts men and women, and welcomes students from every country and any kind of background.
St Hugh’s has a beautiful setting just to the north of the city centre, with Edwardian buildings and some of the largest college grounds. The College is known as the ‘island site’ because of its tranquil gardens, and it is a restful place to live and work.
The peaceful gardens, beautiful Edwardian red brick buildings along with the modern Maplethorpe Building (pictured above) make St Hugh’s a restful place to live and work.
There is an active sporting and musical life at St Hugh’s, as well as a variety of societies, including many subject-based ones. The College Chapel offers a supportive and welcoming environment for Christians of all denominations, and has its own non-auditioning choir.