The College Archive
The St. Hugh’s College Archive is comprised of two collections:
The first Collection is a traditional College archive containing material such as minute books, student records, papers relating to staff, fellows and alumni, College publications, a photograph collection and a variety of administrative records.
Please scroll down to find further information on this Collection below.
The Archive’s second Collection is very unusual for an Oxford College, and arises because of our unique history.
It consists of patient records from the Second World War, when St Hugh’s was requisitioned as a Military Hospital for Head Injuries, together with follow up material on brain injury research that was conducted with the veterans.
Unfortunately, however, we do not have any administrative records of the hospital or any papers relating to surgeons or other medical staff.
Access to either of these collections is by appointment only. The Head Hospital Collection is subject to the normal period of closure for medical records, but can be made available to close relatives of individual patients and to medical researchers in the appropriate field.
The College Archive is open Monday and Tuesday (9am-4pm) and Wednesday (9am-11am). Enquiries and requests for access should be made to the archivist in writing or by email.
Archivist: Amanda Ingram
Tel: 01865 613846
The College Archive
The St Hugh’s College Archive contains a variety of material including:
- Foundation and Governance including foundation documents, statutes, by-laws and standing orders
- Committee minutes
- Early papers on joint undertakings of the women’s colleges
- Papers on the College buildings and gardens including conveyance and maintenance
- Finance papers
- Development and Fundraising including specific appeals
- The Chapel
- Admissions including student files, admission registers, academic administration, Fellowships, lectures and academic collaborations
- Material on the College collections including the library and archive, art, artefacts and silver. Also material on college history.
- Events including anniversaries, gaudies and building openings
- Photograph collection
- Senior Common Room
- Middle Common Room
- Junior Common Room including constitutions, minutes, newsletters, yearbooks and handbooks
- St Hugh’s Club and the Association of Senior Members including material on the College centenary
- Papers relating to past Principals, Fellows and staff
- Papers relating to individual alumnae
- A collection of the awards and honours presented to alumna Aung San Suu Kyi
The archive currently has very few maps and plans or material on domestic management.
We have begun a project to digitise a variety of material from the Archive, to be made available online, together with information on the history of the College. Below are links to this material, which will be added to on an ongoing basis:
- Documents online
- Publications online
- Images online
- History online
The other ex-women’s colleges in Oxford are: