Dr Ning Wang (Ph.D) works as Senior Research Fellow in Data Science at the Oxford-NIE financial Big Data Lab, Mathematical Institute, University of Oxford. He also works as Research Associate at the Oxford Internet Institute. His research is driven by a deep interest in analysing a wide range of social and economic problems by exploiting big data approaches, with the hope that this work could contribute to the intersection of social and economic behaviours and computational systems.
His current research interest lies in understanding how the information online influences people’s decision making specifically in financial market. He is also interested in the broad area of behavioural finance, social computing, data mining, machine learning, social networks analysis, etc. He has been working on a range of projects including Forexmaster: mobile forex platform, “Big Vs” on Chinese microblog, Open Data and Civic Engagement, Big Data: Demonstrating the Value of the UK Web Domain Dataset, Leaders and Followers in Online Activism, Using Twitter to Map and Measure Online Cultural Diffusion, etc. His research has appeared in PLOS one, Social Networks, Data Science, Entropy, etc.
Prior to Oxford, he was a postdoctoral researcher at the Computer Laboratory, University of Cambridge. He worked on the Social-based Forwarding Algorithm. He was involved in research to analyse a large number of real-world data on social networks in an effort to use centrality and community structure to optimise online communications.
He is also guest editor of a forthcoming Policy and Internet journal special issue of Chinese Web Data, program chair of the 14th IEEE Conference on Computer and Information Technology (CIT2014), Co-Chair of the 2014 IEEE Conference on Cyber, Physical and Social Computing (CPSCom2014), and TCP members of 2013 AAAI Conference on Weblogs and Social Media (ICWSM13) and reviewer for IEEE Communications Magazine.
- Financial Big Data Analytics
- Machine Learning in Finance
- Social Media and Mobile Trading Platform
- Online Sentiment Analysis and Financial Market
- Trading behaviours and Behavioural Finance
Major/ Recent Publications:
- González-Bailón, S., Wang, N., Borge-Holthoefer, J. (2014) “The Emergence of Roles in Large-Scale Networks of Communication”. Data Science.
2. González-Bailón, S., Wang, N., Rivero, A., Borge-Holthoefer, J., and Moreno, Y. (2014) “Assessing the bias in samples of large online networks”. Social Networks 38: 16–27.
3. Baños RA, Borge-Holthoefer J, Wang N, Moreno Y, González-Bailón S. “Diffusion Dynamics with Changing Network Composition”. Entropy. 2013; 15(11):4553-4568.
4. I. Ganchev, M. O’Droma, N. Wang. 2009. “Consumer-Oriented Incoming Call Connection Service for UCWW”. Springer journal Wireless Personal Communications, Volume 50, Issue 1.
5. M. O’Droma, I. Ganchev, N. Wang. 2006. “On Incoming Call Connection Service in a Ubiquitous Consumer Wireless World”. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS), vol. 4003, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, Germany. Pp. 287–297.
- N.Wang, J. Shen, J. Wang. (2014) “How Big Vs dominate Chinese Microblog: A Comparison of Verified and Unverified Users on Sina Weibo” ACM Web Science Conference 2014 (WebSci14), Indiana, USA.
2. N. Wang, E. Yoneki. 2011. “Impact of social structure on forwarding algorithms in opportunistic network”. Proc. of IEEE International Conference on Selected Topics in Mobile & Wireless Networking, Shanghai, China.
3. M. O’Droma, I. Ganchev, J. Jakab, Zh. Ji, N. Wang. 2008. “On Ubiquitous Consumer Wireless World – A Wireless Communications Environment for Future Wireless NGNs”. Proc. of the Royal Irish Academy Research Colloquium on Emerging Trends in Wireless Communications, Pp. 6-9, 23-24 April, Dublin, Ireland. ISBN 978- 1-904890-45-4.
4. Ganchev, M. O’Droma, N. Wang. 2007. “On CBM-ICC Service Provision in UCWW”. Proc. of the IEEE 4th International Symposium on Wireless Communication Systems (IEEE ISWCS’07). Pp. 128-132, 17-19 October, Trondheim , Norway . ISBN 1-4244-0979-9.
5. N. Wang, I. Ganchev, M. O’Droma. 2007. “An Architecture for the Provision of Incoming Call Connection Service in UCWW”. Proc. of the IEEE 65th Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC2007-Spring) on “Truly Ubiquitous Wireless Systems”, ISSN 1550-2252, ISBN 1-4244-0266-2, IEEE Catalog 07CH37784C, Pp. 644- 648, 22-25 April, Dublin, Ireland.
6. M. O’Droma, I. Ganchev, J Jakab, Zh. Ji, N. Wang. 2007. “Protocol Foundations for ABC&S Paradigm Realisation in a Ubiquitous Consumer Wireless World.” Science Foundation Ireland Summit. 26-27 Nov. Dublin; Also Book of Abstracts.
7. V. Kueh, N.Wang, B.G. Evans. 2005. “The performance of conference creation signalling over Satellite-UMTS”, In Proceeding for the IEEE 61st Semiannual Vehicular Technology Conference, Stockholm, Sweden