Skip to main content

Personal Tutors & Advisors

Undergraduate Personal Tutors

Each undergraduate has a Personal Tutor (normally one of the Fellows or Lecturers in College, in a relevant subject) who oversees their studies, helps to arrange teaching for them, and is available to offer advice. Personal tutors will normally see their students for report readings at the end of term, and may also arrange other meetings from time to time. Feel free to consult your Personal Tutor about academic matters, and to approach them about pastoral or financial matters in the first instance. For some academic or welfare matters, they may encourage you to get in touch with the Welfare or Finance teams for advice.

Undergraduates will be given the name of their Personal Tutor at the beginning of each academic year and will be told if this changes for any reason. If you are unsure as to who your Personal Tutor is, you should consult the College Office.

Undergraduates applying for employment or seeking accommodation outside College may be asked to give the names of referees: your Personal Tutor will normally be the person to ask about this, but other academics with whom you have worked closely may be approached if you prefer. It is essential to obtain agreement in advance from any person you wish to write a reference, and before citing them on an application form. Please give tutors sufficient notice when requesting references.

Graduate Student Advisors

Every graduate student reading for a higher degree or diploma is allocated a Supervisor by their University Department or Faculty. The Supervisor may be a member of any college and has direct responsibility for advising students on their studies and monitoring academic progress. St Hugh’s graduate students are also allocated a senior member of the College as a Graduate Advisor, in addition to their academic Supervisor (even if your Supervisor is also at St Hugh’s).

College Advisors may be the ‘first port of call’ for personal or financial difficulties and are able to refer students to other members of the College or University better placed to help with specific problems. Graduates should discuss eligibility for academic or hardship-related grants with the College Advisor before submitting applications. The Senior Tutor is sent copies of Graduate Reports and may contact a graduate student if there are concerns about their academic progress or wellbeing.

If your College Advisor becomes unavailable for a period (e.g. if they are on sabbatical leave), a new Advisor will be appointed. If you are unsure as to who your Advisor is, please contact the College Office.